Kenneth Cohen, PharmD, PhD, MS, BCGP
Professor, Pharmacy Practice
Dr. Cohen has spent most of his career in clinical and administrative pharmacy practice in health care organizations and as a pharmacy educator in both the didactic and experiential programs. He has experience teaching in both traditional and distance learning. He has also been involved in the origination, accreditation, development and direction of ASHP accredited residency programs.
He has much experience in the utilization of evidence based medicine to guide health care systems in their decisions on how to use medication to treat disease. These presentations are utilized both at the group level and as individual patient and clinician consultations. His presentations involve demonstration of the value and well as the cost of drug therapy and the use of this information to provide input on formulary decisions as well as decisions on individual patient therapy.
Dr. Cohen has been involved in a number of publications and studies. These were done at the health care practice level. They demonstrate the impact of clinical pharmacist involvement with house staff, private primary care physicians, specialists, and hospitalists in a variety of disease states and in a variety of health care settings. These include inner city hospitals, suburban community hospitals and long term care. He has presented these studies at the national and international level.
Dr. Cohen has participated in a number of associations including the New York State Society of Health Systems Pharmacists, The American College of Clinical Pharmacy, the American Society of Health Systems Pharmacists and the American Society of Consultant Pharmacists.
PharmD, Idaho State University College of Pharmacy
PhD, California Coast University
MS, St. John’s University College of Pharmacy
BS, Arnold and Marie Schwartz College of Pharmacy
Dr. Cohen has spent most of his career in clinical and administrative pharmacy practice in health care organizations and as a pharmacy didactic and clinical educator in both the campus based and health care organization based programs
Demonstration of the impact of clinical pharmacist involvement with house staff, private primary care physicians, specialists, hospitalists and patients in a variety of disease states and in a variety of health care settings
Academic and Professional Honors
Clinical Faculty Preceptor of the Year: May 14, 2014
- PHRM 505
- PHRM 504
- PHRM 511
- PHRM 632
- PHRM 637
- PHRM 508
- Cohen K, Shinkazh N, Frank J, et al. Pharmacological Treatment of Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy. P&T. 2015;40(6)372-388.
- Cohen K. Managing Shingles in Older Adults. Annals of Long Term Care. Vol 22. No 3. March 2014
- Cohen KR, Salbu RL, Frank J. Ask the Expert: Managing Shingles in Older Adults. Annals of Long Term Care. 2014 March; 22(3) ;34-36.
- Cohen K, Salbu R, Frank J, Israel I. Presentation and Management of Herpes Zoster (Shingles) in the Geriatric Population. P&T Peer Reviewed Journal. Vol 38, No. 4, April 2013
- Addo_Atuah J, Veltri K, Kovera C, Cohen K. Pharmacy Students Perceptions of an Interactive Blended Course in Public Health.Presented at Centennial World Congress of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, October 3-8, 2012, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Cohen K, Frank J, Salbu R, Israel I. Pruritus in the Elderly: Clinical Approahes to Improvement in Quality of Life.
- P&T Peer Reviewed Journal. Vol 37, No. 4. April, 2012.
- Cohen K, Frank J, Israel I. Urinary Tract Infections in the Geriatric Population: Challenges for Clinicians.
- U.S. Pharmacist. 2011:36(5).
- Syed S, Cohen, K, Sarij S, Rahman M, Wodruff C, Stevens P. Examination of Factors Leading to
- Readmissions on the Hospitalist Service of an Acute Care Hospital.Poster Session of the Annual Meeting of the Society of Hospital Medicine. April 2005
- Durgin, Sr. J, and Hanan Z. ed, Pharmacy Practice for Technicians (3rd and 4th Ed.) Thompson Delmar Learning .
- 2004 and 2008 -- Collaborator and Author of Chapter “Reimbursement for Pharmacy Services”.
- Syed S, Cohen K, Zito M, Ruggiero R, Cerone P, Klausner S. Differences in Treatment Efficiency Between a Hospsitalist/Clinical Pharmacy Resident Team and Voluntary Attending Physicians at a Community Hospital” The Hospitalist March2004:8(2)
- Cohen K, Ruggerio R, Cerone P. Complementary/Alternative Medicine Use; Responsibilities and Implications for Pharmacy Services” P&T Peer Reviewed Journal. 2002:27(9).
- Cohen K. Cerone P. Complementary and Alternative Medicine: Implications for the Clinician. Minority Health Today. 2000:II(4).
- Hayes E, Cohen K, Ruggiero RJ, Lauletta J. The Comparison of Serum Electrolyte Values in Patients Receiving Standardized Parenteral Nutrition Solutions vs Patients Receiving Individually Customized Parenteral Nutrition Solutions.P&T Peer Reviewed Journal. 2000:25(2).
- Ruggiero RJ, Cohen K, Lauletta J, Palanthinkal J. Clinical Investigation of Conscious Sedation Alternatives for Ventilator Patients in the ICU.P&T Peer Reviewed Journal. 1999:24(1).
- Cohen K, Ruggiero RJ, Lauletta J, Kenny G. Selection of JCAHO ORYX Indicators for Data Submission at a Community Hospital: A MultidisciplinaryApproach. P&T Peer Reviewed Journal. 1998:23(10).
- Cohen K. Ruggiero RJ, Lauletta J, Chelenes JJ, Shirangi S. Examination of Pharmacotherapeutic Alternatives for the Treatment of Pain in the Emergency Department of an Inner City Teaching Hospital. P&T Peer Reviewed Journal. 198:23(6).
- Cohen K, Ruggiero RJ, Lauletta J, Chelenes JJ, Kintzoglou A, Satriano E. Further Exploration of the Economic Empact of Pharmacist Presence and Intervention to Manage the Drug Regimens of Patients Subject to Polypharmacy Drug Regimens. P&T Peer Reviewed Journal. 1997:22(11)
- Cohen K. Development of Useful Reports from a Hospital Pharmacy Computer System.Glaxo-Wellcome Trends in Pharmacy (http://firstname.lastname@example.org) June, 1997
- Cohen K, Lauletta J, Ruggerio RJ, Chelenes JJ. The Economic Impact of Pharmacy Presence and Intervention at the Point of Polypharmacy Prescribing” P&T Peer Reviewed Journal. 1996:21(9).
- Cohen K. Preparing Pharmacy for Operational Audit Review” Hospital Pharmacy Report. 1995:9(5).
- Cohen K. Mandated Pharmacy Services and Cost Containment U.S. Pharmacist. 1991:16(7)
- Cohen K, Mazzone MA, Coyne MJ. Drug Therapy in Advanced Cardiac Life Support.Pharmacy Times. 1984:50(1).
- Cohen K, La Massa PA, Ruditsky SN.How our Pharmacy Controls Controlled Substances” Pharmacy Times. 1982:48(9).