Mary Choy, PharmD, CGP, FASHP
Associate Professor, Pharmacy Practice
Dr. Choy is founding faculty at Touro College of Pharmacy and has a clinical practice site at Metropolitan Hospital. Dr. Choy graduated with honors and received a Doctor of Pharmacy degree from St. John’s University. She is board certified in geriatric pharmacotherapy and completed a Pharmacy Practice Residency at the Veterans Affairs New York Harbor Healthcare System. Prior to joining Touro, Dr. Choy was faculty at St. John’s University and established a clinical practice in nephrology and kidney transplant at North Shore University Hospital. She also helped develop a general practice pharmacy residency that was successful in receiving ASHP accreditation.
Dr. Choy is the Past-President of the New York City Society of Health-system Pharmacists (NYCSHP) and currently holds several leadership positions within professional associations including Faculty Liaison to American Society of Health-system Pharmacists (ASHP), New York State Council of Health-system Pharmacists (NYSCHP), and NYCSHP. As the founding faculty advisor of the ASHP-SSHP organization at Touro, she has guided numerous students in research and presentations at the local, state, and national levels.
Dr. Choy’s recognition for excellence in leadership, scholarship, and public health includes NYCSHP Harold Neham Award, New York State Assembly Citation Award, New York City Council Citation Award, and the APhA Immunization Champion Award. She is well recognized by the pharmacy profession and community for her leadership and media appearances include NBC Today Show, SinoVision TV, and newspapers Singtao, World Journal.
PharmD, St.John’s University, NY; 2005
Public Health, Nephrology
Academic and Professional Honors
New York City Council Citation Award - 2015
APhA Immunization Champion Award – 2015
APhA Academy of Pharmacy Practice & Management Presentation Merit Award - 2015
New York State Assembly Citation Award from the Office of Assemblyman Peter Abbate, Jr. - 2014
Harold Neham Award, New York City Society of Health-System Pharmacists - 2012
Pharmacists Society of the State of New York Award - 2005
- PHRM 580 Professional Practice
- PHRM 710 Introduction to Medical Writing
- PHRM 508 Foundations of the Biomedical Sciences II
- PHRM 635 Principles of Pharmaceutical Sciences II
- PHRM 833 Grand Rounds
- PHRM 637 Principles of Clinical Sciences II
- Kaufman M, Pham T, Parameswaran L, Choy M. Prasugrel Hypersensitivity with Respiratory Distress and Rash. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2016; 73: 1051-1057.
- Choy M. Pharmaceutical Approval Update. Pharmacy & Therapeutics Journal. 2016; 41(7): 416-441.
- Rumore MM, Choy M, Cohen KR. Medication Repurposing in Pediatric Patients: Teaching Old Drugs New Tricks. J Am Pharm Assoc. 2015 (55): e113-263.
- Kaufman, M, Choy M. The ACR/ARHP Annual Meeting: Rheumatology Drug Updates, Safety News. The Rheumatologist. Jan 2015; 76-77
- Choy M. Community Flu Clinic. Bulletin of the New York City Society of Health-System Pharmacists. 2015; 20 (3-4): 3
- Nguyen H, Choy M. Touro College of Pharmacy Spotlight: Community Flu Clinic and SSHP Events. NYSCHP Newsbrief. 2014; 1(2): 4-5.
- Choy M. Outgoing President’s Message. Bulletin of the New York City Society of Health-System Pharmacists. 2014; 20 (2): 2-6
- Choy M, Richman M. Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes: Focus on Updated Recommendations in Hospitalized Patients. Formulary. 2013; 48:189-191.
- Choy M. President’s Message. Bulletin of the New York City Society of Health-System Pharmacists. 2013; 20(1): 1
- Choy M. President’s Message. Bulletin of the New York City Society of Health-System Pharmacists. Fall 2013
- Richman M, Choy M. Chapter Spotlight: NYC. NYSCHP ASHP Newsbrief. September 2013
- Choy M, Pham T. Spotlight on Touro College of Pharmacy: Visit to India, National Kick Butts Day and SSHP. NYSCHP ASHP Newsbrief. April 2013
- Kaufman M, Choy M. Pregabalin and Simvastatin: First Report of a Case of Rhabdomyolysis. Pharmacy & Therapeutics Journal. 2012; 37(10): 579-95.
- Jing S, Naliboff A, Kaufman M, Choy M. Descriptive Analysis of Mail Interventions with Physicians and Patients to Improve Adherence with Antihypertensive and Antidiabetic Medications in a Mixed-Model Managed Care Organization of Commercial and Medicare Members. J Manag Care Pharm. 2011; 17(5): 355-66.
- Choy M, Salbu R. Jet Lag: Management and New Developments. Pharmacy & Therapeutics Journal. 2011; 36(4): 221-231.
- Pham T, Choy M. NYCSHP Pharmacy Roundtable Event: Students from 3 Schools of Pharmacy Join Together to Meet Our Leaders in Pharmacy. NYSCHP Student Newsletter. Spring 2011
- Choy M. Tacrolimus Interaction with Clotrimazole: A Concise Case Report and Literature Review. Pharmacy & Therapeutics Journal. 2010; 35(10): 568-569.
- Choy M, Kovera C, Veltri K. Integrating Cultural Competency in a New Doctor of Pharmacy Program in Harlem. Hospital Pharmacy. 2009 ;44(8): 652
- Choy M. BK Nephropathy: A Challenge in Kidney Transplantation. U.S. Pharmacist. 2008; 33(6):HS-3-HS-9.
- Choy M. New easier-to-swallow capsule approved to treat bipolar disorder Drug Topics. September 15, 2008 p. 26-27.
- Choy M. New Combination Pill Approved for Type 2 Diabetes. Drug Topics. August 11, 2008 p.22
- Lam S, Choy M. Aliskiren: An Oral Renin Inhibitor for Treating Hypertension. Cardiology in Review. 2007; Nov/Dec: 15(6): 316-323.
- Choy M, Lam S. Sitagliptin: A Novel Drug in the Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes. Cardiology in Review. 2007; Sept/Oct: 15(5): 264-271.
- Choy M. Implementation of a Pharmacist-run Lipid Clinic in a Veterans Affairs Medical Center. Pharmacotherapy. 2007; 27(4): e27.
Interests/Hobbies/Life Outside of Work
Traveling around the world, yoga, swimming