Abraham M. Jeger, PhD, FAODME
Chief Operating Officer and Associate Dean for Student Affairs
Department of Social, Behavioral and Administrative Sciences
Touro College of Pharmacy
Dr. Jeger’s broad-based experience in higher education encompasses diverse teaching, research, and leadership roles. He joined TCOP following a distinguished 40-year career at the New York Institute of Technology, over 30-years of which were at its College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM) in Old Westbury, NY. Most recently, he served as the Assistant Dean for Academic Outreach and Site Development. His previous roles at NYITCOM include Associate Dean of Clinical Education; Director of Health Psychology; and Director of the Educational Development Resource Unit.
He also held the rank of Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine, and served as a faculty facilitator in NYITCOM’s problem-based medical school curriculum track. His teaching at the medical school level included courses on human diversity, and behavioral medicine. He provided expertise and presentations to faculty and hospital administrators on effective communication and leadership.
In the realm of student services, Dr. Jeger’s experience includes establishment of a student advisement/mentoring system – which integrated academic resources, psychological supports and career advisement. He personally served as the school-wide mentor for “high-risk” students, was a faculty advisor to student organizations, led community outreach programs, and established educational affiliations for clinical sites. For over 20-years, he directed the entire clinical clerkship program for 600, 3rd and 4th year medical students – ultimately overseeing 5,000 annual clerkship assignments to over 40 affiliated sites, in addition to vetting and appointing over 1,900 preceptors/clinical supervisors.
On a personal note, Dr. Jeger resides with his wife, Rochelle, in Lawrence. Born to parents of Holocaust survivors in Sighet, Romania, English is his 5th language. The Jegers are blessed with four children, and numerous grandchildren. Dr. Jeger’s religious education included Yeshiva Chofetz Chaim in Manhattan and Mesivta Torah Vodaath in Brooklyn. In addition to his professional commitments and rich family life, Dr. Jeger has been leading a weekly study group on classical and contemporary Jewish thought at Congregation Bais Avrohom Zev of Lawrence during the past 16 years. Some of his original essays have been published on-line at www.torah.org
- New York State Licensed Psychologist, March 1979
- PhD, Psychology, SUNY at Stony Brook, 1977
- BS, Psychology, Brooklyn College, 1973
Honors and Awards
- Champion of Diversity, Manhattan-Staten Island Area Health Education Center (MSI-AHEC), 2018
- NYS Osteopathic Medical Society – Meritorious Service in Clinical Education Award, 2019
- BS., Summa Cum Laude, 1973
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1973
- Psi Chi ‑‑ National Honor Society in Psychology, 1972
- NYS Osteopathic Medical Society ‑‑ President's Citation Award for Rural Medical Education, 1994
- NY Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Educational Consortium (NYCOMEC) – President's Service Award, 2000
- Fellow, Association of Osteopathic Directors and Medical Educators (AODME), 2001
- Standard of Excellence Award, Office of the Dean, NYITCOM, 2004
- Humanitarian Award, Peninsula Hospital Center, 2008
- Special Lifetime Achievement Award, AODME, 2017
Collaborated With Goldstein, L.B, Greenwald, B., & additional colleagues to prepare Proposal for “An Accelerated DO/Family Medicine Residency Continuum”, HRSA (Funded, $950,000. 2011-2016)
- Higher education management
- Leadership development
- Nurturing optimal learning/working environments
- Behavioral Medicine/Health Psychology
Representative Publications and Presentations:
Jeger, A.M., & Slotnick, R.S. (Eds.). Community Mental Health and Behavioral Ecology: A Handbook of Theory, Research and Practice. N.Y.: Plenum Press, 1982. (An original conceptualization of community mental health, with all original chapters by leading practitioners and researchers in the field. Includes 6 original chapters by editors, in addition to integrative introductions to sections. 27 Chapters; 510 pages).
- Videotape / DVD: With Errichetti, A. Developed a 9-case Psychiatry Clerkship Education DVD series, NYITCOM, Institute of Clinical Competence, 2007.
Chapters, Articles, Conference Papers, and Workshops:
- Unni, E., Phoenix, A., Bryskin, A., & Jeger, A.M. Personal Wellness and Professional Development during COVID-19. CE Presentation to 1199 Pharmacists. Touro College of Pharmacy, NY, NY. June 22, 2020 & July 28, 2020.
- Jeger, A.M. Collegial Mutual Support and Professional Collaboration. In Unni, et al. (above).
- Jeger, A.M. Spirituality, Health, and Wellness. In Unni, et al. (above)
- Capozzi, B., & Jeger, A.M. Communication for Academic Leaders: A Skills Development Workshop. Annual Meeting of the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM): Educating Leaders 2020, Washington, DC, March 25, 2020.
- Jeger, A. M. Fostering Trust for Team Building. Presented at the inaugural course, “Leadership for the Frontline Pharmacist: A Certificate Program.” Touro College of Pharmacy, NY, NY, January 12, 2020.
- Jeger, A.M., & Capozzi, B. Applied Communication Skills for Leadership. Presented at the inaugural course, “Leadership for the Frontline Pharmacist: A Certificate Program.” Touro College of Pharmacy, NY, NY, January 12, 2020.
- Jeger, A.M. Leadership, Trust, and Team Building. Inaugural Presentation, Faculty Development Series, Touro University-Nevada, College of Osteopathic Medicine, Henderson, Nevada, December 12, 2019.
- Jeger, A.M., & Capozzi, B. Effective Communication Skills for Leaders. Presented at the Health Care leadership Course. NY Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Educational Consortium (NYCOMEC), Old Westbury, NY, November 19, 2019.
- Jeger, A.M. Leadership and Communication. Workshop presented at the inaugural Student Leadership Course, NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine, June 18, 2019.
- Jeger, A.M. Leadership, Trust and Team Building: Fostering Trustworthy Leaders and Trusting Organizations. Workshop presented at the inaugural Student Leadership Course, NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine, June 18, 2019.
- Burg, B.J, Goldstein, L., Jeger, A.M., Jung, M., & Sheflin, K. Emigre Physicians’ Experiences Attending an American Osteopathic Medical School. Poster Presentation. Annual Meeting of the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM). Washington, DC, April 12, 2019.
- Burg, B.J., Goldstein, L. Sheflin, K., Jeger, A.M. The Émigré Physicians’ Experiences Before, While, and After Attending an American Osteopathic Medical School: A Cross-Sectional, Mixed Methods Study, Convergent Design. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association (JAOA), 2018; 118 (11); 197-199.
- Jeger, A.M., & Capozzi, B. Interpreting Your COMAT Performance Scores: Everything You Need to Know, But Were Afraid to Ask. On-Line Instructional Video, NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine, Office of Clinical Education/Academic Affairs, August 17, 2018.
- Jeger, A.M., & Capozzi, B. Elements of a Physician Leadership Development Institute. Workshop, AAMC Group on Faculty Affairs Professional Development Conference, St. Louis, MO, July 13, 2018.
- Capozzi, B., & Jeger, A.M. Communication Skills for Physician Leaders/Educators. Presented at Brookdale Hospital Graduate Medical Education Faculty Development Meeting, Co-sponsored by NYITCOM & NY Medical College, Brooklyn, NY, November 2, 2017.
- Capozzi, B., & Jeger, A. M. Collegial Mutual Support: A Unique Model of Professional Collaboration. Presented at Fusion 2017 Educational Conference, Las Vegas, NV, July 19, 2017
- Jeger, A. M. Effective Communication Skills. NYCOMEC / NYIT Healthcare Leadership Certificate Course. Flushing Hospital Medical Center, March 21, 2017.
- Jeger, A. M. Skillful Interviewing for Residency Selection. Workshop, Department of Medicine, Jamaica Hospital Medical Center, November 29, 2016.
- Jeger, A. M. Role of the Psychiatric Educator in Psychiatric Education. Grand Rounds Presentation, Department of Psychiatry, Jamaica Hospital Medical Center, November 3, 2016.
- Elliot, S.P., Goldstein, L.B., Meinberg, D., & Jeger, A.M. Relationship Between Residency Placement and Clerkship Site Enrollment: A Retrospective Analysis. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association (JAOA). 2015; 115 (4); 226 – 231.
- Mitchell, M., Darroch-Short, L., Yens, D.P., & Jeger, A.M. Community Health Experience: An Urban Community-Based Opportunity. Poster presented at the National Area Health Education Center Organization (NAO) Conference, Charolette, NC, July, 2014.
- Jeger, A.M., Levine, D.C., & Goldstein, L.B. The Use of “Technology-Mediated Clinical Education” within the Partnership for the Advancement of Clinical Training (PACT). Presented at the Annual Meeting of AACOM, Washington, D.C., April, 2014.
- Goldstein, L.B., Jeger, A.M., Kumar, C., & Levine, D.C. The Partnership for the Advancement of Clinical Training (“PACT”): Development & Implementation. Presented at Annual Meeting of AACOM/AODME, Baltimore, MD, April, 2013.
- Jeger, A.M., & Goldstein, L.B. An Accelerated DO/Family Medicine Residency Continuum: Planning and Development. Presented at Annual Meeting of AACOM, Washington, DC, March, 2012.
- Goldstein, L.B., & Jeger, A.M. Enhancing the Transition from Pre-Clinical to Clinical/Clerkship Education. Presented at Annual Meeting of AACOM, Washington, DC, March, 2012.
- Elliot, S.P., Jeger, A.M., Goldstein, L.G., & Meinberg, D. Retrospective Analysis on the Relationship of Clerkship Assignment & Selection and Residency “Match” Outcomes. Poster Presentation, AACOM Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, March, 2012.
- Served as editorial consultant to publishers, reviewing book proposals and manuscripts (Plenum Press, Springer, Random House).
- Reviewer for American Psychological Association's Division of Community Psychology for journal articles and conference paper presentations.
- Contributed articles to Osteopathic Progress and AODME News in the capacity of Board Member, Association of Osteopathic Directors and Medical Educators (AODME). Served as reviewer for AODME conference paper presentations.
- Member, Advisory Board, Glaxo Welcome Pathway Evaluation Program for Medical Professionals, 1995-2002.
- Member, National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners (NBOME): Member, Level I Exam Construction Committee, 1997-1999;
- Member, Medical Education Committee, Associated Medical Schools of New York (AMS-NY), 2010.
- Member, Advisory Board, the NBOME Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Achievement Tests (COMAT), 2010-2015;
- Member, Advisory Board, NYS Area Health Education Centers (AHEC), 2013-present.
- SBAN 685 – Leadership: Theory & Practice