Abraham M. Jeger, PhD, FAODME
Department of Social, Behavioral and Administrative Sciences
Touro College of Pharmacy
Following completion of a Ph.D. in Psychology at SUNY-Stony Brook (1977), Dr. Jeger joined the NY Institute of Technology (NYIT) as a full-time Assistant Professor and continued in various academic and administrative, diversified leadership roles – spanning a 41-year career. He retired from its medical school (NYITCOM) in 2018 as Assistant Dean of Academic Outreach/Site Development and Professor of Psychiatry & Behavioral Medicine, where he previously served as Assistant/Associate Dean of Clinical Education for over 23 years.
Upon his retirement (which lasted one weekend), Dr. Jeger was appointed COO/Associate Dean for Student Affairs at the Touro College of Pharmacy, and Professor in its Department of Social, Behavioral and Administrative Sciences. Since retiring from the dual role of COO/Associate Dean for Student Affairs in 2022, Dr. Jeger continues his passion for developing and implementing leadership curricula for students and diverse health care professionals.
On a personal note, Dr. Jeger resides with his wife, Rochelle, in Lawrence, NY. Born to parents of Holocaust survivors in Sighet, Romania, English is his 5th language. The Jegers are blessed with four children, and numerous grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Dr. Jeger’s religious education included Yeshiva Chofetz Chaim in Manhattan and Mesivta Torah Vodaath in Brooklyn. In addition to his professional commitments and rich family life, Dr. Jeger leads weekly study groups on classical and contemporary Jewish thought at the Young Israel of Lawrence-Cedarhurst and the Young Israel of Long Beach. Some of his original essays have been published on-line at www.torah.org.
- New York State Licensed Psychologist, March 1979
- PhD, Psychology, SUNY at Stony Brook, 1977
- BS, Psychology, Brooklyn College, 1973
Honors and Awards
- Lifetime Honorary Member Status, Assembly of Osteopathic Graduate Medical Educators (AOGME), 2021
- Award of Excellence, Touro College of Pharmacy, 2021
- Champion of Diversity, Manhattan-Staten Island Area Health Education Center (MSI-AHEC), 2018
- NYS Osteopathic Medical Society – Meritorious Service in Clinical Education Award, 2019
- BS., Summa Cum Laude, 1973
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1973
- Psi Chi ‑‑ National Honor Society in Psychology, 1972
- NYS Osteopathic Medical Society ‑‑ President's Citation Award for Rural Medical Education, 1994
- NY Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Educational Consortium (NYCOMEC) – President's Service Award, 2000
- Fellow, Association of Osteopathic Directors and Medical Educators (AODME), 2001
- Standard of Excellence Award, Office of the Dean, NYITCOM, 2004
- Humanitarian Award, Peninsula Hospital Center, 2008
- Special Lifetime Achievement Award, AODME, 2017
Needs Assessment for Leadership Education Among Pharmacists
- Leadership Development
- Psychosocial Aspects of Health
- Member, Advisory Board, the NBOME Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Achievement Tests (COMAT), 2010-2015;
- Member, Advisory Board, NYS Area Health Education Centers (AHEC), 2013-present.
- SBAN 685 – Leadership: Theory & Practice
Spending time with family and friends; personal development reading; walking the boardwalk & ocean viewing; conducting spiritual classes on Judaic thought; and Talmudic study.