Sharon Blum, PharmD, BCIDP
Chair, Associate Professor
Department of Pharmacy Practice
Touro College of Pharmacy
Dr. Blum joined Touro College of Pharmacy as Chair, Associate Professor Department of Pharmacy Practice after 15 years of practice as a hospital-based pharmacist specializing in infectious diseases. She founded Brookdale University Medical Center’s antimicrobial stewardship program and most recently served as Chair of the antimicrobial stewardship program in NYU Langone Long Island Hospital. These programs dramatically decreased usage of broad-spectrum antimicrobials, significantly reduced nosocomial C difficile infections, and reduced hospital spending on antibiotics.
In addition to her passion for patient care, Dr. Blum founded and directed the postgraduate year 2 infectious diseases residency program at NYU Langone Long Island. She also served as residency preceptor for postgraduate year 1 residency infectious diseases training, and as a volunteer preceptor for P6 students.
Dr. Blum’s commitment to the pharmacy profession and passion for infectious diseases spills over to her family time where you may hear her child recommend ceftriaxone over meropenem.
- PGY-2, Infectious Diseases Pharmacy Resident, James J. Peters VAMC
- PGY1, Pharmacy Resident, James J. Peters VAMC
- PharmD, LIU Arnold and Marie Schwartz College of Pharmacy, 2006
Honors and Awards
- ID Week (Boston, MA) Travel Grant Award, October 2023
- NYU Winthrop Performance Improvement Conference, First Place Winner, October 2017
- NYU Winthrop Pharmacy Residency Program Preceptor of the Year, June 2017
- ASHP Chief Executive Officer’s Award for Courageous Service: pharmacy department (awarded for attending to the needs of Hurricane Sandy victims), June 2013
- ASHP Best Practice Award: Medication Management clinic at Brooklyn (awarded for successfully reducing CHF readmissions), December 2012
- HIV & Liver Disease; Jackson Hole, WY Travel Grant Award, September 2008
- Distinguished Scholars Award, May 2006
- LIU ASHP Care Plan Competition, 2nd place, October 2005
- Dean’s List; Graduate Excellence Award; University Scholars Award, September 2000 - May 2006
Memberships and Affiliations
Family time, reading, decompressing on the treadmill, and picking up her dusty saxophone